The Alberta Weightlifting Association is the sole governing body for the sport of Olympic Weightlifting in Alberta. We are affiliated with both the Canadian Weightlifting Federation and the International Weightlifting Federation.
Established in 1958, the AWA is a not-for-profit organization governed by an all-volunteer Executive elected to two-year terms by AWA members. The organization currently has no paid staff members. The current Executive members are as follows:
President Brennan Link
Vice-President Administration Josh Martin
Vice-President Technical Mike Souster
Secretary Connor Fletcher
Treasurer Cole Marshall
Our mission is to promote and foster Olympic Weightlifting as a competitive sport and to support the athletic and personal development of athletes in an environment that is healthy, inclusive and ethical.
- To promote, lead and govern the sport of Olympic Weightlifting throughout the Province of Alberta.
- To endorse the key values of the sport and the Olympic Principles.
- To advocate and ensure all clubs and competitions operate in the spirit of Fair Play.
- To ensure that Canadian Weightlifting Federation Standards are adhered to at all times.
- To affirm our commtiment to ensuring that each of our members is permitted to train, compete, volunteer, coach and otherwise participate in our sport in an environment that is free from any form of discrimination.
- To honour the values of hard work, determination, the pursuit of excellence and success in all activities.
- To honour the principles of doping-free sport in cooperation with the Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport.